»» Frequently Asked Questions
Working, Learning, & Growing
- What areas do you serve?
- Primarily, we serve Oakland. If you live outside the city, but are able to provide transportation to the job site, we'd love to hear from you.
- Do you provide all the necessary insurance?
- The Oakland Workers' collective is a community organization that helps connect workers with employers. We are not party to the worker-employer relationship, and thus not eligible to take out an insurance policy for either party. However, in certain situations your homeowner's or renter's insurance may cover the workers. We encourage you to check your insurance for coverage.
- What if the job requires specialized skills, tools or vehicles?
- We will do our best to find a worker in the Collective with those tools or skills. If we are able to match a worker to your project, the rate will be different than that on the website. The worker will come to visit your site and give you a quote after assessing what needs to be done.
- What forms of payment do the workers accept?
- The workers prefer to be paid in cash after the job is completed for jobs less than a day's work. For jobs longer than one day, workers prefer to be paid after every work day. No credit cards or personal checks.
- What languages do the workers speak?
- We have workers who are fluent in English and Spanish. However, not all jobs require a lot of communication and much can be communicated with a few words and gestures. If you have a language preference, just let us know.
- What types of jobs can your members do?
- Our members have experience as movers, painters, gardeners, construction workers, set-up workers for events, and janitors. If you have a job not included in this list, please give us a call and we may be able to find someone to suit your needs.
- What if I'm not satisfied with the job completed?
- We value your feedback and would like to hear about your experience. We are constantly trying to give better services. Click here to provide us feedback
- Do the workers accept gratiuities?
- Yes, but they do not expect them.